Sunday, February 21, 2010

Rainbow canyon giant frogspawn


That's not frogspawn, just domes of some sort, that's why they don't look like real life frogspawn.

Long explanation: I had a school assignment earlier this year where I had to copy a certain photo in watercolour; it had a ton of gradients and even though I got the colours very close to the original eventually (on my third try - I'll post the assignment later, I don't have it on hand at the moment), I could never... get... the damn gradients! So I started this painting from an old layout sketch with the intention to try out gradients in watercolours. I don't know if I actually figured out much about those, but at least it adds a bit of colour to my sketch-heavy oeuvre.

I'm back home in Finland with no Photoshop no nothing, enjoying the snow, and stumbling a surprising amount over my Finnish. And Vancouver has made me a bit soft when it comes to enduring cold. It's all coming back to me little by little, though. I just love it here!

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Aaahhh, I'm loving the watercolour! The rainbowy colours remind me of the snowball scene in Meatballs. <3

Glad to hear you're enjoying it back home! :D Oh what I wouldn't give to frolic in some snow.

kelipipo said...

Thanks :D Wow, they do a bit now that you mention it... Snowbaaall!