Saturday, January 3, 2009

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence."

My first attempts at sketching Vyvyan from The Young Ones, for the maquette. Don't expect it anytime soon, though. There's still a lot of sketching to be done. And getting down a really characteristic pose, for one.




I just love Ade Edmondson's face, and when he's playing Vyv, the (already prominent) jaw is jutted out and the cheeks are sucked in.

I don't want to make it all realistic-like, more of a caricature. And I find it so hard to simplify people. I mean, for me it takes ages of drawing a person before I can "unearth" something that's simple but still recognisable. That's not a great way to do it, I'm pretty sure. I hope it's just lack of practise.

2 comments:

Fabrice said...

This is great!
Are you planning an animation with him? Or also other characters from the show?

kelipipo said...

Thanks a lot! :) The Young Ones rules!
I've been planning to do a smallish Sculpy sculpture/figurine (starting with Vyv, and hopefully later figurines of the rest of the guys too). So far I haven't found the time for actual sculpting and I can't advise anyone to hold their breath waiting for it, could take ages... So for now I just sketch.