Saturday, July 18, 2009

I feel kinda write-y

(I know. SUCH quality. But what am I gonna do, go all the way to school to use a scanner? It's only friggin biro.)


My "new-old" cat -- if the tail looks short, it's because she only has half a tail.


I tried to draw caricatures of the mains of My Life in Film. Obviously failed. It's terrib messy too. But, you know, biro, so there was little chance of correcting myself. Even weirder: although the caricatures are so not and it looks like a bleeding panda fight, I kinda like it! Mostly because I was overjoyed by the mere memory of the show. Anyway, it's the first thing besides life drawing that I've drawn in so many days.
They're all looking somber due to the death of Hugo the fish (in Beth's hand there).

My apologies to Alice Lowe, who's quite possibly the most adorable actress I've ever seen, and to beautiful Andrew Scott, for not doing them justice. Little bit of apology to Kris Marshall as well.

* * *

Two images of Wes Anderson's upcoming Roald Dahl adaptation Fantastic Mr. Fox have popped up on movie sites. I like the look of'em.


I knew it was going to be stop motion animation, but I didn't expect this kind of look, like a dollhouse come to life, instead of ...well, what we've seen in Henry Selick's films or in The Life Aquatic. Not that I didn't love those, but this look corresponds much better with my personal images of the book -- almost perfectly, in fact. So quaint and intricate. I'm swooning over that little badger painting and the realistic-looking miniature books.

There are things that could go wrong but not horribly wrong, I think. No Mark Mothersbaugh and an animation director (Mark Gustafson) whose work I happen to be completely unfamiliar with, but we'll see. George Clooney as the voice of Mr. Fox? I think the whole cast is going to sound American (or, in keeping with tradition, the villainous farmers will have British accents). That's one disappointment. Still, if the Brits never filmed the book during all these years, all can I say is you snooze you lose. Waited since Giant Peach for a Dahl adaptation that looks this promising. I love Tim Burton's take on the Chocolate Factory, it's a darling, funny film but there's an abyss between the book and the movie. More animated Dahl adaptations would be awesome. In my mind I keep seeing Quentin Blake's illustrations of BFG and Witches moving.

* * *

[Oh and since I'm going on about book adaptations... One of the Pitch Party judges this year had a blurb where it said she's currently producing an animated series based on the Little Nicholas -books by Goscinny! FREEEEEEEAKOOOOOUT! :D ]

No comments: